1. I used USDA CHOICE Petite cut Sirloin Steaks - each was roughly 1 inch-ish thick and about 1/2 lb
3. Canola Oil
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on raw steaks
- Place an empty cast-iron skillet in oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- When oven has heated, (using pot-holders) move hot skillet to stovetop burner on high heat (I turned the burner on about a minute before I moved the skillet, so it would have time to heat up)
- Pour just enough oil into skillet to just lightly coat, about 1 tbs or so(I used Canola, as Olive will burn when that hot)
- Place steaks in pan and sear on one side for about 2 - 3 minutes, flip and repeat (seared but not burned)
- When both sides have seared, move skillet (using pot-holders) to 500 degree oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and poke middle of steak for doneness, shouldn't be squishy (rare) but shouldn't be firm (well-done). Somewhere in between is perfect for medium-rare. If you have extra-thick steak, it may need longer in the oven - if so, just pop it back in for another 2 minutes or so - or thinner will need less time in oven.
- Remove steaks from skillet and place on plate; tent with aluminum foil and allow to sit for about 10 minutes to let juices redistribute.
- Enjoy!!! :)
Found By: Betsy